When I moved to Taiwan from the States as a child, nothing could've prepared me for the culture shock. But as kids usually are, I quickly adapted and became fluent in Mandarin within weeks.
When I returned to the States 10 years later, I found my adaptivity didn't deteriorate with age. Instead of fear and discomfort, I felt intrigued, with an intuition to communicate and share the stories of these different cultures.
Ever since I discovered my talent for embracing new things, I've developed a competitive drive to test it. I've scraped up money and utilized scholarships to travel to, live in, and work at New York City, Japan, China, England, Holland, Germany, and many more.
Growing up in two drastically different cultures, I realize that nothing can portray and convey tales of the world as well as storytelling and media.
So, my initial interest in storytelling became a passion to share the tales of the people I've encountered - of the heroes who walk among us, the places that aren't explored, and the organizations that change the world.
My dream as a child was to become an artist. As I grew older, I realize that there is so much art already in our daily lives and all over the world, just waiting to be shared with the new media of the digital age.
Find out more about some of my travels, where I got to experience different places of the world through work and volunteerism.
- Edited After Action Reviews and produced video packages for the Army National Guard.
- Filmed and edited Training Recap Videos for military summer training exercises.
- Film producer/editor for the entertainment brand, producing short videos relating to travel, music, and comedy.
- Content and social media manager for English and Chinese platforms
Public Television Services
- Translating raw news stories from Chinese to English for broadcasting, then recording and editing voice overs for news production.
- Composing bi-weekly posts pertaining to travel and lifestyle topics. Interviewer and writer of special guests for the “Urban Natives” profile series. Click here to see some of my articles
CTS Culture Enterprise
- Assistance in video photography for tourism promotion and increasing cultural exposure of Taiwan in overseas communities, partnering with the Overseas Compatriot Affairs Council. Based in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Independently produced multimedia content for IU Newsroom, Inside IU, and more, conducting interviews, editing content, and creating news releases for an audience of students, faculty, and alumni for all five Indiana University campuses across the state and around the world.
American Student Radio
- Managed outreach and social media campaigns for student work and special events for the online publication.
- Created the video content for The Templeton Project, a transmedia story about education in the Bloomington community.
Indiana Daily Student
- Published bi-weekly columns on traveling in Taiwan.
- General assignments reporting and video production pertaining to the IU campus and the Bloomington community.
Market Partners International
- Created content for Publishing Trendsetter, corresponding with bloggers and copyediting submitted material.
- Managed social media accounts, composed/formatted Wordpress posts, conducted interviews and marketing research.
The Media School
- Reported on current events corresponding to the School of Journalism, interviewing honored guests and attendees.
- Completed secretarial work for the Communications Office, including research, organization and basic graphic design.
Bachelor of Arts(B.A.), Journalism
Specialization in Digital/Interactive Media and Global Journalism
Adaptive, flexible and fast learning through international work experiences.
Experienced and efficient in producing media content and working independently.
Ability to effectively communicate and work with teams from diverse backgrounds.
Professional in multimedia editing software: Final Cut Pro 7 and 10, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition, and more.
Fluency in English and Mandarin; intermediate level in Japanese.
Registered Yoga Teacher 200hrs
Open Water Certified
Multimedia Specialist for the Grace Foundation
Media Specialist for American Red Cross (Austin, Texas 2016)
Indiana University Journalism Ambassador
Edward L. Hutton International Experience Program Grant
Jack Scott Scholarship